In this article, we’ve hand-picked the most comfiest and durable large dog beds based on the experience and recommendations of pet owners, who know only too well the kinds of advantages a good support bed offers a large breed dog that is predisposed to developing canine arthritis and hip dysplasia.
Canine hip dysplasia (CHD) and elbow dysplasia (ED) truly affects the health and welfare of all dogs.
Given this predisposition, the efficacy of using a quality and supportive bed to prevent and alleviate orthopedic disorders can only have a positive impact on your dog's overall quality of life and comfort.
Below you’ll find a good mix of our personal go-to choices for the best orthopedic dog bed, memory foam and elevated dog beds suitable for large breed dogs such as Dalmatians, Dobermans, German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers and extra-large breeds like Bloodhounds, Irish Wolfhounds and Akitas.
These are rated based on a combination of comfort, durability, value, and customer reviews.
Quick picks: Best dog beds for large dogs with hip dysplasia
Best Orthopedic Dog Beds for Large Breed Dogs
Big Barker Dog Bed - "Best Overall Dog Bed For Large Dogs With Hip Problems"
Let’s put it this way; the Big Barker orthopedic bed is particularly designed for large and extra-large dogs. If you are looking for a comfortable and durable bed for your big furry friend, this bed, available right here, is the best superior quality bed for large breed dogs.
There’s quite a lot we actually really like about this US-made dog bed, aside from being aesthetically pleasing, the 7-inch orthopedic foam will be easy on your dog’s joints and muscles. As most large-breed dogs are plagued with elbow and hip dysplasia, this big pillowtop dog bed will give dogs the relief they seek.
Also, it is anti-bacterial, hypoallergenic and toxin-free so your pup can sleep in a safe environment.
And lastly, the memory foam is high-quality grade backed up by a 10-year warrantee, which makes it a pretty good choice for an indestructible dog bed.
Big Barker 7" Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed comes in three different sizes Large 48 X 30 X 7, Extra Large 52 X 36 X 7 and Giant 60 X 48 X 7 and each size comes in a choice of three different colors, Burgundy, Chocolate and Khaki.
Why We Love it: Big Barker Dog Bed for Large and Extra Large Breed Dogs (Sleek Edition)
• Ability to retain more than 90% of its shape and softness in 10 years. The product comes with a 10 year warranty.
• Made with American orthopedic foams which are of the highest quality, hence it won't flatten.
• Hand-crafted to the best precision.
• It is machine washable, hence it is easy to clean and soft to handle.
Pet Fusion Ultimate Pet Bed- "Best Memory Foam Large Breed Dog Couch"
Now here’s another really nice, quality solid memory foam dog bed that’ll be guaranteed to win some cuddles and hugs from your big furry friend.
We’re talking about this large dog bed right here.
As far as features, it boasts pretty much many of the qualities as the Big Barker Bed: the 6” memory foam is dense and soft and reduces the risks of joint pains while providing extra comfort. It comes with a water and tear-resistant cover and a non-skid bottom.
As with all memory foam beds, there is an initial odor, but left aired for a couple of hours, the smell will dissipate. Overall, this is a great bed for large dogs, one that is durable and long-lasting and one we’re sure your dog will approve.
Why We Love it: PetFusion Pet & Lounge Bed
• A sturdy and smart deign dog bed comprising of base and bolsters (couch-arms) for maximum support and comfort.
• Removable & washable outer cover
• Ability to nestle legs & head under bolsters
• Easy to assemble and 12-month manufacturer warranty.
Comes in three sizes:
• Jumbo Bed, 50 x 40 x 13 inch, can hold 200+ pounds and suits the largest dogs.
• X-Large Bed, 44 x 34 x 10 inch, can hold 150+ pounds and suits large dogs or multiple medium-size breed dogs.
• Large Bed, 36 x 28 x 9 inch, can hold 100+ pounds and suits medium or large dogs OR multiple smaller breed dogs.
• Small Bed, 25 x 20 x 5.5 inch, can hold 50+ pounds and suits small dogs.
Oh and lastly, one of our favorite features, for home décor enthusiasts, this dog bed will blend in seamlessly with your décor thanks to its smart design.
Kopeks Orthopedic Dog Bed - "Best Orthopedic Dog Bed for Large Dogs With Bolster"
This orthopedic dog bed, available right here, has all the bells and whistles and is truly one of the best beds for providing pain-relief for extra-large dogs.
It features, an 8.5” Orthopedic 100% Memory Foam with a soft and plush Suede waterproof and removal cover, has an anti-slip bottom and is hypo-allergenic. The excellent grade memory foam means that this bed is your top choice if your aging dog suffers with arthritis, joint issues and hip/elbow dysplasia. Not to mention the raised perimeter which provides your dog with a nice headrest.
Durability-wise, the cover is very durable and the memory foam is high-grade which means it won’t flatten overtime.
This is a pretty large dog bed measuring 40”L x 56”W x 8.5” and with a sleeping surface of 33.5”L x 43.5”W x 7”H.
Why We Like It: KOPEKS Deluxe Orthopedic Memory Foam Sofa Dog Bed
• Double-layered protection, the 7-inch sleeping surface is an orthopedic memory foam with water-proof capabilities.
• Comes with a suede material exterior cover which is soft and anti-slip in nature, while the bottom is zipped.
• It is hypoallergenic in nature hence it does not trigger any pet allergy.
Go and check it on Amazon
Coolaroo Dog Bed - " Best Giant Cheapest Dog Bed"
The greatest feature you will appreciate about this elevated dog bed is that it has an off-the-ground design that ensures greater air flow so it’s a great bed that will keep your pup nice and cool since it is more than 7 inches raised off the ground.
The bed and frame weigh only 9-pounds so it’s lightweight and the bed is portable which means it can be used both indoors and outdoors since it is UV-treated. Because of its breathable material, it is mold/mildew resistant and flea/mite resistant and very easy to keep clean.
Materials-wise, it is made of sturdy powder-coated steel frame and the fabric is polyethylene (HDPE) and while this ensures durability overtime, this bed may not provide the level of comfort as some of the previous mentioned dog beds. However the bed offers almost 9 square feet of bed space so this provides the comfort your dog needs.
• X-Large Bed- 59.8L x 37W x 8.85H inches
• Large Bed: 51L x 32W x 8H inches
• Medium Bed: 43.4L x 25.6W x 8H inches
• Small Bed: 35.5L x 21.6W x 8H inches
We Like It: Coolaroo Raised Dog Bed
• Suspended platform reduces pressure on joints, thus promoting the health of the dog.
• The breathable fabric guarantees the elimination of hot spots.
• Resistant to flea, mold, mite and flea.
• Lightweight and powdered-coated steel frame for extra durability.
• Portable design: suitable for indoors & outdoors.
Best Durable Large Dog Beds: Bottom Line
All things considered, the best dog bed for your large puppy or dog should be designed with three things in mind: comfort, support and durability. Why?
This is in order to provide pain relief, improve the overall sleeping experience of your big furry friend and act as a preventative measure against orthopedic disorders.
Whether you’re looking to give your pup ample sleep space, pain relief for an aging dog or just added comfort, getting the best dog bed will definitely be one of the best investments you can make to enhance your canine friend’s life and overall well-being.
For the best dog crate bed and pad we like the Brentwood Orthopedic Dog Bed since it's, 100% Waterproof and has a 4" gel memory foam.
Want more tips on dog care? Be sure to check out our guides on: